James Taylor-Brown, (1868-1923)
Brown was born in Kilmarnock in 1868 and moved to Stewarton in1870, living with his parents at Draffenlea cottage on Loudoun Street.
Until he was 28, the artist worked for his sister in her draper’s shop in the town, later opening his own shop in Main Street selling newspapers, books and confectionery, with his art studio at the rear.
Brown devoted the remainder of his life to painting and was fortunate to have the guidance from the group known as ‘the Glasgow Boys,’ whose work recently spearheaded one of Kelvingrove Art Gallery’s most successful exhibitions.
Taylor Brown’s work was exhibited in the Dick Institute, Kilmarnock, and included scenes of Rowallan Castle, Robertland Estate, Ballantrae, Dunlop Kirk, Prestonpans shore and the Millhouse, Stewarton.
He died aged just 57 and was buried in Stewarton cemetery beside other members of his family in an unmarked grave.
However, the efforts of the Conning brothers now mean the artist can be celebrated and remembered more.